My Low Fodmap Kitchen
Braised Collard Greens with Bacon: Low FODMAP, Onion-Free and Garlic-Free
LOW FODMAP BRAISED COLLARD GREENS RECIPE
MAKES: 4 servings
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon garlic-infused olive oil
- 1 slice of bacon cut into small squares
- 10 chopped garlic “Asian” chives (use only bottom halves). You may substitute with regular chives
- 1/2 lb collard greens
- 1 cup of garlic and onion free chicken broth (I mix 1 cup of water with 1 packet of Savory Choice Chicken Broth Concentrate)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash of hot pepper flakes (optional)
1 / Prepare the collard greens for cooking: wash and dry greens; cut out center ribs; cut into 1” wide strips; roughly chop the strips into bite sized pieces.
2/ In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat.
3/ Add bacon, sauté until it begins to crisp up, about 2 minutes.
4/ Reduce heat to low. Add chives and cook just until bacon is crisp (2-3 minutes).
5/ Add collard greens, sauté while stirring constantly, until the greens begin to wilt (3-4 minutes)
6/ Add broth, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
7/ Cover the pot and allow to simmer on low heat for 20 minutes or until leaves are tender, but not mushy.