Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies with Walnuts: Gluten-Free and Low FODMAP
Updated: Jan 26, 2020
DARK CHOCOLATE CHUNK AND WALNUT COOKIES RECIPE
MAKES: 8 large cookies
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
- 1 stick unsalted butter, frozen
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup + 6 tablespoons gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder (this is darker than standard cocoa powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 3.5 oz dark chocolate bar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a medium mixing bowl. Use a wire whisk to thoroughly combine. Set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, use a cheese grater to grate the frozen butter directly into the bowl.
- Add both sugars to the mixing bowl with the grated butter.
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric hand or stand mixer until thoroughly combined - about 5 minutes.
- Add egg and egg yolk to the butter mixture, beat for 1 more minute.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Use hand mixer to blend, just until all ingredients fully combine to form a soft dough. - Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Form the dough into a soft ball.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Put the bowl of dough into the refrigerator for 30 minutes to rest.
- While the dough rests: 1/ preheat oven to 350 degrees; 2/ cover a baking sheet with a layer of parchment paper or silpat; and 3/ chop the chocolate bar into 1/4” chunks.
- At the end of the resting period, remove dough from refrigerator.
- Pour the chocolate chunks and chopped walnuts into the mixing bowl. Use a spatula to combine with the dough. Mix by hand, just until the chocolate and walnuts are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Spray a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop with nonstick cooking spray
- Scoop out 8 balls of dough mixture onto the baking sheet— this dough does not spread out much while cooking, so you should be able to fit all 8 balls onto a standard sized cookie sheet in the configuration shown below:
- Place cookies into the preheated oven. Set timer for 8 minutes.
- At the end of the 8 minutes, rotate baking sheet 180 degrees for even baking. Put back into oven and bake for an additional 6-7 minutes. When done, the cookies will be set, but still a bit soft to the touch.
- Allow cookies to rest on baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Cool to room temperature and enjoy!