Low FODMAP Arugula & Basil Pesto Sauce
Updated: Feb 9, 2020
This recipe derives its garlic flavor from the use of one of my refrigerator staples -- Garlic Chives.... It makes a tasty pasta sauce, pizza sauce, meatball seasoning or protein marinade.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with garlic chives here’s the scoop— they are an excellent replacement for fresh garlic in most recipes. The trick is to figure out how much to use... I am taking it on a recipe-by-recipe basis presently.
You might also find them at your grocery store under one of their many aliases: Nira, Asian chives, or Chinese leeks. They resemble traditional American chives, but are lighter in color and have flatter leaves.
Low FODMAP Arugula & Basil Pesto Recipe:
* adapted from Joy of Cooking *
MAKES: Enough to season a 1lb box of pasta
COOKING TIME: 10 minutes
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 cups fresh arugula leaves
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 8 chopped garlic chives, bottom halves only
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toast walnuts: Preheat a skillet over low heat. Lightly toast walnuts, stirring occasionally, until oils begin to release, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add all ingredients except olive oil to food processor or blender. Process until a
mush is formed.
- With food processor or blender running, slowly pour in the olive oil. Process until a thick paste forms. If the mixture looks dry or mealy, add another tablespoon of olive oil. - Pesto will keep for 1 week in an airtight container.