My Low Fodmap Kitchen
Low FODMAP Chicken Parmesan: Gluten Free, Wheat Free, No Garlic, No Onions
LOW FODMAP CHICKEN PARM RECIPE
MAKES: 8 servings
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOKING TIME: 45 minutes
- 2 lb chicken cutlets
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Frying oil (vegetable, corn, canola and grapeseed oil are all fine)
- 1/2 pound ball of fresh salted mozzarella cheese, sliced into 1/4“ thick slices
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese + more to serve at the table with pasta
- 2 cups garlic-free and onion-free marinara sauce + more to mix with pasta (I highly recommend Rao’s Sensitive Formula, which is available in the US on Amazon.com)
- In a small bowl (enough room to fit 1 cutlet at a time), beat the eggs with the salt and pepper.
- In a shallow baking dish, combine the bread crumbs and basil.
- Coat a chicken cutlet in egg mixture. Then dredge the cutlet in breadcrumb mixture until covered in a thin coating of breadcrumbs.
- Shake off excess breadcrumbs. Move coated chicken cutlet to cutting board or platter to await frying. - Repeat steps until all cutlets are coated.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 1/2” of frying oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When oil is warmed, add cutlets to pan until full. Do not overcrowd the skillet- the cutlets should not touch.
- Cook until browned on first side, about 3 minutes. Flip, and cook until reverse side is browned (2-3 minutes). - Move browned cutlets to a clean paper towel covered platter or cutting board.
- Repeat frying process until all cutlets are browned.
- Spoon 1/2 cup of marinara sauce into bottom of 9” x 13” casserole dish or shallow roasting pan. Using a spoon or spatula, spread out in a thin layer of sauce across the bottom of the pan.
- Place cutlets atop the layer of sauce. Cover the tops of the cutlets with the remainder of the sauce.
- Distribute the slices of mozzarella evenly atop the cutlets. You might find it best to tear the mozzarella slices into smaller pieces to fully cover the cutlets.
- Sprinkle the grated Parmesan cheese atop the cutlets.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Allow casserole to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with cooked gluten free spaghetti mixed with onion-free/garlic-free marinara sauce (plan for at least 2 cups of sauce per pound of pasta).
- When I serve this dish I also serve wheat spaghetti with “normal” marinara sauce as an option for my family members who do not need to follow a low FODMAP diet. Everyone is happy!