Low FODMAP Chicken & Tomatillo Soup
This recipe derives its garlic and onion flavor from the use of one of my refrigerator staples -- Garlic Chives.... It makes a tasty pasta sauce, pizza sauce, meatball seasoning or protein marinade.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with garlic chives here’s the scoop— they are an excellent replacement for fresh garlic in most recipes. The trick is to figure out how much to use... I am taking it on a recipe-by-recipe basis presently.
You might also find them at your grocery store under one of their many aliases: Nira, Asian chives, or Chinese leeks. They resemble traditional American chives, but are lighter in color and have flatter leaves.
Low FODMAP Chicken & Tomatillo Soup Recipe
MAKES: 4 bowl-sized servings
COOKING TIME: 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos, husks and stems removed
- 1 jalapeño pepper or serrano chili pepper (include the seeds if you want the heat, remove them if you don't want the heat), stems discarded, chopped
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 chopped garlic chives, bottom halves only
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 3/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of excess fat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups of garlic- and onion-free chicken stock (I mix 1 1/2 cups of water with 2 packets of Savory Choice Chicken Broth Concentrate)
- Chopped cilantro leaves, lactose-free sour cream, and additional jalapeño or Serrano Chile peppers for serving.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees
- Place tomatillos and pepper(s) on baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Broil for 5-7 minutes until blackened in spots. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- When cooled, put the tomatillos and peppers (and any pan juices) into a blender. Add garlic chives and lime juice. Process until liquefied.
- Preheat the olive oil in a deep saute pan over medium heat. While oil heats, season the chicken breast cubes with cumin, coriander, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- When oil is heated through, add the chicken cubes. Cook until all four sides are browned. Then add the blended tomatillo mixture and the chicken stock to the pan.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Then reduce heat to low and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with the following condiments as add-in options: 1/ fresh cilantro leaves; 2/ lactose-free sour cream; and 3/ thin slices of fresh jalapeño or serrano peppers